Dinner tonight is sorted with this bistro-style sausage with lentils recipe.
- 2 cups (400g) green lentils, rinsed, drained
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 8 thick pork sausages
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 small bunch thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/3 cups (330ml) alcoholic apple cider
- 1 1/3 cups (330ml) Massel Chicken Style Liquid Stock
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- Sour cream, to serve (optional)
- Cook the lentils in a saucepan of boiling water for 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain, then set aside until needed.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbs oil in a large frypan over medium-low heat. Cook the sausages, turning, for 6-8 minutes until browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbs oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic, then cook for 2 minutes or until softened.
- Increase heat to medium, add the apple, thyme and bay leaf, then season. Cook for a further 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Add the cider and stock, then bring to a simmer and cook for 7-8 minutes until liquid is slightly reduced.
- Return the sausages to the pan with the celery and lentils, then cook for 4-5 minutes until warmed through.
- Ladle lentil mixture among serving plates and top with the sausages.
- Serve with sour cream, if desired.